Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Hurricane Mountain 6-17-2018






Hurricane jumped on my bucket list while we were on the Summit of Big Crow last Summer. It had such an impressive look that I knew we'd have to hike it some day. I decided a few months back that I would like to climb it on Father's Day. So, that's what we did!

I was aware that the trail from Route 9N was recently re-routed and maintained by DEC & the Friends of Hurricane Mountain. Gentle sloping switchbacks guided Kailee & I up the mountain. I love a good switchback trail!



The trail crosses and runs along a swamp or two on the way up. We spotted some salamanders and frogs and heard the groans of bullfrogs.

Despite passing the swamp, we didn't run into any black flies or mosquitoes... However we did run into our dreaded enemy: biting gnats.

I personally think that biting gnats are worse than black flies & skeeters. The way they slash your skin and and leave itchy anticoagulant compounds in your flesh is extremely annoying and painful. I'm putting this write up together a week and a half later and still have slash shaped scabs from their bites.

Anyhow, shortly after the swamp area you gain some elevation and break into the open. Hurricane has a bald summit. And, no it's not as a result of wind as the mountain's name may imply.

High Peaks from below Hurricane's Summit.

Hurricane's baldness is a result of Verplanck Colvin clear cutting the summit area to perform his historic Adirondack survey in the 1870s.

We both enjoyed the stretch from here to the Summit. Nice views all the way to the top. And, oh yeah! After summiting, if you're not satisfied by spinning around in a circle and getting a view in every direction... There's a firetower that you can climb to get a little more elevation for your view.



I'm not a huge fan of climbing firetowers. But, under the right circumstances, I will go all the way up. Hurricane's tower didn't bother me. I went all the way up to the cab. Part of the cab's roof had been torn off by the most recent Winter's wind. Unfortunate for the tower... But, I actually thought it looked kinda cool.

Whiteface & Esther from Hurricane.


Kailee climbed the tower twice as I prepared lunch.

After lunch, we began our trek out.

The switchbacks made it a fairly quick and extremely easy walk back to the car.

Afterwards, we drove to Placid and played a game of mini golf at Pirate's Cove.  In spite of me winning the game 60-110... Kailee did sink the only hole-in-one for the day! This was an excellent way to wrap things up after a good hike on Father's Day..

No comments:

Post a Comment