Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Cascade 6-6-2018

Summit Undies on Cascade!

Cascade has been making waves in the headlines a lot this past year. Due to parking concerns, the New York State DEC is currently planning on moving it's easily accessible trailhead from it's current location on Route 73 to Mount Van Hoevenberg which would add at least 3 miles to the hike.

Personally, I think the potential move is extreme and other alternatives should be considered such as painting lines in the parking lots, lowering the speed limit around the trailhead and operating a shuttle bus to transport hikers from an overflow lot at Van Hoevenberg to Cascade during busy Summer weekends.

But, I digress...


Such a busy parking lot on a Wednesday... NOT!

In anticipation of the proposed move, I decided to make an afternoon trip to Cascade after work. I had no plans of tagging Porter on this day. For a more complete review of Cascade and Porter click here.

I pulled up to the trailhead. There were five other cars in the lot. One of them was leaving... Real busy... Yeah right...

I enjoyed plenty of solitude on this hike. I only passed five other people who were descending as I ascended... So overcrowded... Yeah right...






I had the Summit to myself... It was really hot and muggy. I had neglected to pack my shorts. Since I had the place to myself, I kicked off my pants and hung out in my underwear for a bit until I cooled off.


Clouds over the Great Range and Big Slide just chilling out.


Clouds were rolling into the High Peaks. It was pretty cool. I ate a sandwich and relaxed for almost an hour before departing.



Here come the clouds!


I thoroughly enjoyed this hike and having the place to myself. Cascade has a pretty phenomenal summit.


If you're considering climbing Cascade, I suggest doing it soon and doing it on a weekday. If you hit it up on a Wednesday, it's pretty likely that you'll have this "overcrowded" gem to yourself.




No comments:

Post a Comment