Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Silver Lake Mountain 12-4-2017 Solo


For whatever reason, I had been dealing with a feeling of anxiety for a few days. I decided that a good hike might be the perfect cure before Winter really picks up. So, I chose to climb Silver Lake Mountain once again.

It's a quick hike with a nice payoff and it's close to home, which was important since I had to pick Kailee up after school.


It was cold, gray and gloomy
in Plattsburgh. But, only a few
miles away at Silver Lake it
was gorgeous!

It was cold and gloomy in Plattsburgh when I dropped Kails off at school and made my way to Black Brook. I assumed that I'd be summiting into a cloud.




On the contrary, as soon as I exited P-Burgh and entered the town of Saranac, the sky opened up to a beautiful shade of blue.

This was unexpected and fully welcomed.

It felt warmer at the trailhead than it did back home!

SLM is only a two mile round trip but I think it's a pretty good practice mountain. The incline jumps at you as soon as you begin your hike. Then it levels off for a bit before picking back up for a final open rock push to the top.

I stumbled upon a geocache, which was a brand new experience. I noticed that my friend was the last person to sign it. I scrawled a note in it and put it back and continued forward.

I reached the Summit in a half hour and enjoyed the panoramic view. I love looking at mountains that I've hiked from other mountains. SLM offers a great view of Catamount which was a really fun climb. Poking up from behind it was Whiteface... Kailee is dead set on climbing it in 2018. You gotta love the determination of my little girl.



I was distressed to find that someone had brought two cans of paint and left a bunch of graffiti on the trees and ground in the time since I had last been there.
Seriously... Not cool!



Bushwhacking.
As I began my descent, I decided to try out some basic easy bushwhacking on my way down. I'm glad that I did. I was able to get some views to the North and spot Lyon Mountain/Averill Peak along with other mountains.


I used the three bodies of water (Mud Pond, Taylor Pond & Silver Lake) and my compass to keep my bearings and enjoyed this different side of SLM.

More whackin'.

I linked back up with the trail near the register, signed out and headed back to gloomy old Plattsburgh with plenty of time to pick up Kailee!

This was a nice late season hike. It was fun. My head and body really needed it. A good hike is amazing for the soul.

Looking back at the Summit on my
bushwhack down Silver Lake Mountain.


Silver Lake Mountain is on Silver Lake Road in Black Brook.

No comments:

Post a Comment